Agents have a number of responsibilities when preparing for an open house, and none may be more important than getting the seller on board with your plans. Having the seller’s approval and support can mean the difference between wasted efforts and earning yourself a sale with a new crop of leads.
Client as Valuable Partner
In this blog post, we’ll cover how you can encourage and guide your client to being a valuable partner in your open house, and how they can help you achieve your goals.
Sellers need to understand their role in the open house. Let them know what you’re planning and why. Assuming they are motivated to sell for the highest price, they’ll understand that the home has to be in great shape and will do whatever is needed. You are trying to create a home that prospective homebuyers can imagine themselves living in, and your sellers must understand this goal from the beginning.
Open House Checklist
Give your sellers a checklist of tasks to complete, including:
- Remove everything attached that’s not for sale, including small appliances, ceiling fans and fixtures. You don’t want to spend time explaining to potential buyers what’s included and what’s not.
- Secure all valuables such as laptops, tablets and phones, as well as any prescription medications.
- Purge the refrigerator of all unnecessary foods and decorations.
- Use white towels. You will be amazed how easily you can turn any bathroom into a luxurious spa escape with a fresh stack of fluffy white towels.
- Take the trash out of every wastebasket in the house.
- Maximize curb appeal. The lawn should be cut and shrubs pruned, with all toys and gardening tools put away in the garage or other location.
- Take out any artwork or décor that could offend prospective buyers, including items that are political or religious in nature.
- Place fresh flowers or flowering plants throughout the home.
- Clean and fluff bedding, towels and rugs.
- Sweep and clean out the garage.
- Set the thermostat at a comfortable temperature.
- Clean, clean, clean! Beds should be made, countertops should be cleared and all linens should be tidy. Surfaces should gleam.
Once this is completed, you can begin to stage the home and prepare for arrivals.
Learn Even More About Open Houses
To learn the seven steps to a successful open house, sign up for a seven-day free trial at AgentEDU and watch the course. Then, explore the entire Open House track and you’ll be on your way to making every open house a success.
AgentEDU® is a platform where agents at every level can come to watch 10-minute video courses for the many situations that successful agents must master. From essential to advanced level and everything in between, AgentEDU® courses help agents become top producers with increased earnings and a plan for continued growth.
AgentEDU® is an Agent Publishing brand. For nearly two decades, Agent Publishing has been committed to providing residential real estate professionals with the information and training required to build successful and meaningful careers in their local markets. Agent Publishing’s influence extends to every career stage and reaches agents across print, digital, events and online learning.